Guimet

Guimet / 10x10

DOWN THE ROAD from L'Anse Aux Meadows is a whole collection of teeny little towns that apparently live generally on tourism and specifically on Viking tourism - with a little fishing thrown in. 

The proliferation of Viking-related stuff is overwhelming. It's so relentless that, over the course of an afternoon paying attention, it becomes ridiculous. Snorri Cabins? Val Halla Hotel? I shake my head at how the incredible fact of the Vikings landing in L'Anse Aux Meadows has become co-opted to sell everything from coffee to delivery services. 

I make this painting standing beside a closed and shuttered restaurant. The town of Guimet seems to be sheltered a bit from the relentless wind - but is full of Viking adverts. 











***
Dog of the Day

MET THIS GUY at a show this summer. I'm not seeing the dogs I usually find on my travels! Maybe Newfoundlanders don't have so many dogs? Many of the people I meet are traveling, and they have left their dogs at home. But I am on the lookout every day. 

***
A Final Thought

"Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind."

- Seneca

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Post

On the River in Truro

L'Anse Aux Meadows