Eddie's Cove II

Eddie's Cove II / 10x10

THE AMAZING PAINTING DAY continues. I drive a few miles down the coastal road and come upon this building, perched near the water. It calls out to me, the way so many of these landscapes do - the solitary house, or the two or three homes close together, at the edge of the Strait of Belle Isle.                                                                                                                      There's Eddie's Cove East, where I believe I am when I am painting this, and Eddie's Cove West, which I will hit tomorrow. Eddie's Cove East was settled by Philip Coates and his wife Sarah Duncan, says Wikipedia. The first census - 10 people - was in 1869. 


These days, Eddie's Cove East has a population of 80, down from its record high of 128 in the late 1980s. It is a tough place to live, with severe weather, heavy wind, persistent ice. Fishing, logging and saw mill work keep this little place going, like so many others in Newfoundland. 

It is a lonely place, quiet except for the noise of the wind and the water and the wheeling cry of the gulls. Hardly a car goes by. 

When I leave, I get close enough to the building to see that it is a place where someone stores wood. 

***
Two Items

How has this home not tipped over? 



ALL OVER NEWFOUNDLAND, and especially on the west coastline, I see big piles of wood. They are mostly just at the side of the road, though I do see one way on top of a rock shelf, 10 or 15 feet high. 
Turns out that each family is allowed to cut six cords for their own personal use. They cut it in the winter, mostly, an innkeeper tells me, and haul it with snowmobiles close to the road, then stack it and let it sit over the summer to dry. 

I ask if there is any wood thievery, and he looks at me like I'm crazy, like no one would ever think of doing that. 

Another thing you see all over the place is fenced gardens by the road. They're about 10x20, maybe, not gigantic but not small, and they're doing pretty well. Corn and tomatoes, squash and who knows what else. 

When the bulldozers came in to make the good roads, people tell me, folks just used the good soil dug up by the construction equipment, and made their gardens there. 

***
Dog of the Day

IT'S TWO-FACE, the cat who hangs out at the Round Da Bay Inn. She is a nice girl, 
and soft, and so much a cat - happy to be on my lap as long as it is her idea. 


***
A Final Thought

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.."


    - Lao Tzu






    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Final Post

    On the River in Truro

    L'Anse Aux Meadows